As the years go by and we all get fatter, I, as I’m sure most of us, encounter one complaint more and more often – “I need to lose weight”. Hell, so do I! Well, maybe not “need” – but want, absolutely. Don’t we all?
Last year, I went on a complete health-food/exercise kick. This past year that willpower has waned – OH, how it’s waned – to a point where I would sit on my ass and inhale an entire pizza in one sitting watching Law and Order SVU reruns or Real Housewives of Atlanta (guilty pleasure to the max). Not okay. For anyone… to be clear, I’m talking about the gluttonous sloth tendencies, not the Kim and NeNe addiction… that’s totally healthy.
Sure, maybe the holiday season isn’t the best time to reverse this curse, but what the hell? Why not get a head start on that inevitable New Years resolution? I’ve gained about 12-15 lbs. this year. I want to lose 10. How am I going to do that? First off: pilates. Girls – if you’re not doing pilates, you’re doing yourself an extreme disservice. It’s such an accessible way to stay active and healthy and in shape. Your asses will look killer after just a week, two tops! Scouts honor.
What else? Kale.
This isn’t the first time I’ve brought up this wonder-plant here and you can bet your bottom dollar it won’t be the last. Kale could potentially be one of the most amazing plants to grow on this earth. It’s rich in Vitamins C, K, beta carotene, calcium, and so on. It’s easy to prepare and also it’s fucking DELICIOUS.
There are SO many super easy ways to incorporate it into your diet, as well!
- Add some to mashed potatoes so you don’t have such a starch heavy side
- Chop and sauté with portobello mushrooms and garlic in olive oil and toss with cheese ravioli or tortellini and roasted butternut squash
- Serve BBQ tofu steaks (or marinated eggplant slices) on a bead of steamed kale and couscous with red onion
- Duh! Add some to your salad for lunch! Or dinner. Or breakfast… weirdo.
- Still stuck on the potato option, huh? How does a kale and fake bacon loaded baked potato sound? Try it!
- Throw some in your lentil or minestrone soup
- Add some to pretty much any casserole or fake meat-loaf
- Sauté with garlic and serve it as a side: Bam! That easy
- Leftovers from the last suggestion? Whip some together with cream cheese and use it as a bagel spread the next morning – or as a dip the following night (add a touch more olive oil and garlic for the latter suggestion)!
- Kale pesto? Give it a whirl!
- Add it to your stuffing!
- Add it to your green smoothie!
- Don’t drink green smoothies? Me neither! I should probably get on that!
- Add some to your bomb-ass stuffed eggplant recipe like I did this evening! Want photo evidence? YOU GOT IT!
My point is – kale is versatile and it’s good for you. It’s filling, low-calorie, packed with fiber and other good stuff and it’s unreasonably delicious. You should eat it. Your body (mouth included) will thank you.
Here are a few of my favorite kale recipes, for good measure:
- Asparagus Kale Stir-Fry: I make this at least once a month and have done so for well over a year. Too good
- Vegan Red Curry Soup: Sweet potato? Red curry? Kale?! Holy fucknuts <3′s
- Kale Mallung (Sri Lankan Kale with Coconut): Savory sweet, something I usually don’t go for… this, however, kinda rules.
-Indian Kale and Split Peas Unreasonably good.
That’s all I’ve got for now, but hopefully some light has been shed on a vegetable you might have otherwise avoided! Eat and be merry, friends. Frankly, I just don’t want you to die.